OUR HISTORY

ONE CLUB

Lawford Lads and Lawford Junior came together in 2015 to form one club, Lawford Football Club. Based at School Lane in Lawford, our new club offers outstanding facilities including award winning pitches and a modern club house.  The Senior section fields two Men’s teams and a Ladies team.  Our current membership comprises youth and junior teams with boys and girls between the ages of 6 to 18 from the many surrounding villages. 

THE FIRST LAWFORD FC

Lawford Football Club as we know it today is actually the second club to bear that name.  The original Lawford Football Club was founded in 1935, competing in the Harwich Junior League. Its home ground was at Lawford Home Park behind the Kings Arms public house.  The club was disbanded in 1939, on the eve of the Second World War.

LAWFORD LADS

Founded in August 1949, Lawford Lads played their first match played on 7 October that year.  Lads was included in the Club’s name as most of the original players were under 18 and the team were playing in a minor league, the Colchester N.E. Minor League (Stour Division).    

 

Originally, the Lads were based behind the Ogilvie Hall where pitch access involved negotiating a high fence. Teddy Prike would bring a stepladder so the team could gain access without injury.  As cows grazed the field on which matches were played it often had furrows and cows would sometimes interrupt play.  Teddy also cleared up what the cows left behind and used it on his allotment.  Players often cycled to away fixtures.       

                                                 

Almost ten years after its formation the Club relocated to the Tendring Hundred Showground on the Bromley Road, changing in an old Nissen hut.  The Club moved to our current site in 1967, with the new clubhouse opened in 2011. The club remains an integral part of Lawford life with many ex-players continuing to lend their support today.  The Club achieved FA Adult Charter Status in 1979.

LAWFORD JUNIOR

Established in 1975, Lawford Junior grew from small beginnings into a thriving club. A few years earlier, Lawford’s Charlie Carey had taken his cub football team to two Colchester Cub Cup finals in the 1972-73 season – winning one of them.  From this success, Lawford Junior developed, with the new Club first competing in the Suffolk and Essex Sunday Youth Football Combination.  The club achieved FA Charter Status in 2006.

THE JOHN LYALL PAVILION

For many years the football clubs had played out of an old wooden pavilion. While this had served us well, it needed to be brought up to modern standards. It was decided that this wasn’t practical and a fund raising and grant funding operation was put into place to try to build a new pavilion. Following many years of hard work by countless volunteers and individuals, the funding target of £590,000 was achieved in late 2010. Construction began in January 2011, leading to completion and an official opening day in September 2011, the guest of honour was Sir Trevor Brooking CBE. The John Lyall Pavilion provides a fantastic, modern and safe facility that will serve future generations of Lawford footballers for many years to come.

KEY EVENTS 

1935              First Lawford Football Club founded (disbanded 1939)
1949              Lawford Lads founded in August with first match on 7 October 
1950-51         Joined the Harwich Junior League division 1
1952-53         Joined the Colchester League division 4
1955              Reserves team formed
1967              Club moves to School Lane
1971-72         First team promoted to the Premier division
1975              Lawford Junior founded
1979-80         First team join the Essex and Suffolk Border League
1987-88         First team win Harwich Junior Charity Cup
1995-96         First team division 2 champions 
1998-99         First team win Harwich Intermediate Charity Club
1999              Lawford Past vs Lawford Present match to mark Club's 50th year
1999-2000     First team win Border League Cup
2002-03         Lads U18s win the League, League Cup and Colchester Open Cup
2004              Fund raising events in memory of Darren Hawkins
2005-06         First team join Premier division of Essex and Suffolk Border League
2006              Lawford Junior awarded FA Charter Status
2009              Lawford Lads awarded FA Adult Charter Status
2011              The John Lyall Pavilion opened at School Lane
2015              Lawford Lads and Lawford Junior combine to form Lawford Football Club
2015-16         U18s win Colchester & District Youth Football League 
2016-17         U18s win Colchester & District Youth Football League
2017-18         Lawford Ladies promoted to Eastern Region Woman's League 
                      First team promoted to premier division of Essex and Suffolk Border League

© Lawford Football Club,2020